25 years ago for Sept. 26, 2016

Published 11:07 am Monday, September 26, 2016

Sept. 26, 1991

A report expected this week will indicate the most cost-efficient answer to solid waste disposal is to develop a new landfill, the Winchester Board of Commissioners was told Tuesday. However, it is likely the waste will have to be shipped out of the county “temporarily” after July 1992 due to new regulations.

Winchester firefighters put out a fire at 120 Strode Station Circle, Apartment C, at 7:43 p.m. Tuesday. Fire Department officials say the blaze apparently started when Leo Purcell attempted to kindle a fire in his fireplace with gasoline. Blankets and curtains caught fire, reports indicate, and caused approximately $1,000 in damage. Firefighters extinguished the blaze and evacuated smoke from the apartment. Purcell was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

Email newsletter signup