City, county to discuss EMS budget

Published 8:03 am Monday, February 27, 2017

The Clark County Fiscal Court and Winchester Board of Commissioners have called a rare joint meeting to talk about funding and budgeting for emergency medical services.

The idea for the joint meeting came from a revenue sharing committee meeting, which involves two magistrates and two city commissioners. Both the fiscal court and the commissioners discussed the joint meeting, which will be at 5:30 p.m. March 14, during their respective meetings Feb. 21 and 22.

Currently, the city and county share the expenses of the EMS service, with the city paying 55 percent of the expenses less revenue. The county pays the remaining 45 percent, and is billed quarterly, Clark County Judge-Executive Henry Branham.

The county ambulance service merged with the city’s fire department around 1990.

In previous court meetings, some magistrates discussed ways to make the payments more consistent for budgeting purposes.

In fiscal year 2015-16, the county spent $496,470 after budgeting $470,000 for EMS, Branham said. Part of that was an emergency purchase after an ambulance blew an engine, he said.

For the current fiscal year, the county budgeted $515,000. After three quarters, the county has spent $459,000, he said.

The agenda calls for discussion about emergency services “including but not limited to the agreement, budget, finances and personnel.”

The meeting will be at Winchester City Hall.

About Fred Petke

Fred Petke is a reporter for The Winchester Sun, the Jessamine Journal and the State Journal. His beats include cops, courts, fire, public records, city and county government and other news. To contact Fred, email fred.petke@bluegrassnewsmedia.com or call 859-759-0051.

email author More by Fred