Successful strategies for weight loss
Published 10:38 am Thursday, January 4, 2018
By Jennifer Howard
Did you make that same New Year’s resolution to lose weight again this year?
Many of us dom and in attempting to lose weigh, many individuals will try fad diets, diet pills and or weight loss drinks.
Email newsletter signup
Successful weight loss begins when we become more aware of what we eat and our lifestyle habits.
There are several strategies that have shown they can help people manage their food intake, which ultimately helps manage their body weight.
Here are seven successful strategies:
1. Focus on the total number of calories consumed. In order to lose weight a person must reduce the number of calories consumed.
2. Monitor your food intake. In other words, write down all the foods you eat and drink. Pay attention to the calorie information on food labels for each serving size. There are a lot of apps available now to help with this.
3. Cook and eat more meals at home. You have more control over the ingredients you use and the methods of cooking when you prepare meals at home. When eating out, choose smaller portions or lower calorie options and whenever possible share a meal or take part of it home.
4. Serve and consume smaller portions. Individuals who eat and drink smaller portions will over time lose weight.
5. Eat breakfast. Not eating breakfast has been associated with excess body weight. Skipping any meal has been shown to lead to overeating.
6. Limit screen time. Get up and get moving. Avoid eating while watching television, which can result in overeating.
7. Take time each day to be active. It is recommended that we get 30 minutes a day of moderate physical activity five or more days of the week. For weight loss even more activity may be needed.
For more information on setting fitness goals or making lifestyle changes, visit us on the web at http://ces.ca.uky/edu/clark.
Jennifer Howard is the Clark County Extension Agent for family and consumer sciences.