Police: Arson victim feared harm

Published 12:20 pm Thursday, January 11, 2018

The victim of a December house fire on Kiwi Drive was afraid she would be harmed by the person charged with setting the fire.

Winchester Police Detective Dennis Briscoe said Bonnie Spencer, the owner of the residence, was rescued by firefighters after her home at 525 Kiwi Drive burned on the morning of Dec. 18, 2017.

Timmy W. Isaacs, 45, was living at the residence with Spencer as a roommate for several weeks prior to the fire, police said previously.

Email newsletter signup

During Isaacs’ preliminary hearing in Clark District Court Wednesday afternoon for his first-degree arson charge, Briscoe said one of Spencer’s relatives received a text from Spencer a couple weeks earlier asking to “get justice” for her if anything happened and that Isaacs would be responsible.

Briscoe said Isaacs had lived with Spencer for about six weeks following his release from jail.

Spencer also said she and Isaacs argued often over the use of her pickup truck, which he was driving on the morning of the fire.

Arson investigators believe the fire started around the only exterior door on the mobile home, Briscoe said. A Georgetown Fire Department K-9 unit alerted on the presence of accelerants on Isaacs’ pants and shoes, on the driver seat of the pickup truck and five spots between the front door and the driveway, he said.

In his interview with detectives, Isaacs said he left the trailer at 8:50 a.m.

Spencer said she didn’t know he was there and had previously kicked him out of the residence.

A witness, though, saw Isaacs leaving while gray smoke was coming from the residence.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 9:17 a.m., and rescued Spencer and her dog form the home.

While they were still on scene, Isaacs returned with the pickup truck. Detectives found a partially-filled gasoline can in the bed.

The fire also caused significant damage to a residence next door at 527 Kiwi Drive. Briscoe said he would provide evidence to the grand jury for possible additional charges.

Ultimately, Clark District Judge Earl-Ray Neal determined there was probable cause for the arson charge and sent the case to the grand jury. Neal also denied a request to alter Isaacs’ $100,000 bond.

About Fred Petke

Fred Petke is a reporter for The Winchester Sun, the Jessamine Journal and the State Journal. His beats include cops, courts, fire, public records, city and county government and other news. To contact Fred, email fred.petke@bluegrassnewsmedia.com or call 859-759-0051.

email author More by Fred