Letter: Families can honor Civil War soldiers with marker

Published 8:52 am Saturday, January 20, 2018

This correspondence is for relatives of Civil War veterans who were honorably discharged and served in the Union forces.

The veteran is eligible for a government marker at no cost to the veteran’s relatives, even after 153 years. Here are the website and telephone number to get said markers: 1-800-697-6947 or

I got my great-great-grandfather’s marker and had it sent to my address to make sure the information I filled out on the forms was correct. It was, and I took it to the Winchester Cemetery and had them install it for a fee of $100. The relatives do have the option of installing the marker themselves.

Email newsletter signup

Glenn Powell