Man charged in shooting, victim at large

Published 12:30 pm Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Police are still trying to find a woman who was shot nearly two weeks ago as the suspect sits in jail.

Clarence R. Reynolds, 25, of Stanton, was arrested early Tuesday morning in Powell County for first-degree assault and tampering with physical evidence.

Winchester Police believe Reynolds shot 22-year-old Megan Deshay Griffin around 6:30 a.m. Aug. 10 on South Highland Street in downtown Winchester.

Email newsletter signup

Winchester Police Sgt. James Hall said the two were in a verbal argument and witnesses heard a gunshot. Reynolds then fled the scene.

Griffin went to Washington Street Apartments, 27 E. Washington St., and received medical treatment from residents. She has not been seen since.

“We have spoken to family members who said she is alive and well but has refused medical attention,” Hall said. Detectives located the signal from her cell phone in Lexington, following the incident but the phone has since gone dark, he said.

Based on the photographs, Hall believes Griffith was shot once in the leg and had other bruises around her face. Officers recovered a semi-automatic handgun hidden under a vehicle at M&W Auto Repair where the shooting occurred.

“We believe they had a past relationship,” Hall said of Reynolds and Griffith. “We think she’s with someone else and that’s what upset him. That’s what we’re going with, based on interviews.”

Hall said he is not aware of any pending charges against Griffin; they just want to make sure she is alright.

Reynolds was arrested shortly after 1 a.m. Tuesday at his mother’s house in Powell County. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in Clark District Court.

About Fred Petke

Fred Petke is a reporter for The Winchester Sun, the Jessamine Journal and the State Journal. His beats include cops, courts, fire, public records, city and county government and other news. To contact Fred, email or call 859-759-0051.

email author More by Fred