Second case of COVID-19 confirmed in Clark
There has been a second confirmed case of novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, in Clark County. Wednesday evening about 6:20 p.m., Clark County Public Health Director Becky Kissick said there had been a second postive test.
Gov. Andy Beshear confirmed in his press release Thursday the patient is a 27-year-old woman. Officials have not said if she is being isolated in her home or a health care facility.
About an hour before Kissick confirmed the case Wednesday, Clark County Judge-Executive Chris Pace had posted on his official Facebook page that there had been a second positive case and that it was “believed to be connected to the first case announced on Sunday.” However, no one from the Health Department has corroborated that information.
The first confirmed case in Clark County involves a 49-year-old man who had voluntarily isolated himself and was not in a hospital or other health care facility, according to officials.
In a press release issued Wednesday night, the Clark County Health Department reported that the second case had been confirmed by the state lab. Local health officials were working with the Kentucky Department for Public Health (DPH) to identify and speak with all those who may have come in contact with the second person to get the virus while they were contagious. These people will be monitored for fever and respiratory symptoms, the release said.
The news release said that to help answer the community’s questions about COVID-19, the Clark County Health Department and city and county officials would be hosting a Facebook live session at 6 p.m. on March 19 on the Health Department’s page: https://www.facebook.com/Clark-County-Health-Department
Winchester radio station WWKY will also feature community informatoin on COVID-19 each week day at 12:15 p.m.
The Winchester Sun is also reporting daily on the situation and is posting breaking news on its website, www.winchestersun.com, as soon as it becomes available. Readers can also access stories from the website through the newspaper’s Facebook page.
When the first case was announced, Pace declared a countywide emergency, and soon after, Winchester Mayor Ed Burtner declared a city emergency, which enables the local governments to apply for federal funding to reimburse expenses used to fight the virus.
At a press conference Wednesday, Gov. Andy Beshear said there had been nine new confirmed cases that day alone, including an 8-month-old child who appeared to be doing well at home, he said. As of Thursday afternoon, the total number of cases confirmed was 47. It’s been reported that a couple of patients have recovered, but two deaths related to the virus have been confirmed in Kentucky.
In his Facebook post, Pace encouraged people to stay calm and cooperate with the directives of public officials.