Murder suspect Lonnie Martin set for July court date
Convicted murderer Lonnie Martin will be back on the docket in July, as the court system slowly reopens and attorneys proceed with the case.
In February, prosecutors and the attorney for 46-year-old Martin said they had been discussing the case as well as a possible guilty plea.
Martin was scheduled to be tried in March, but the trial was continued.
He was also scheduled to be back in court in April to either enter a plea or schedule a trial, but the court date was continued.
Martin is facing a single count of murder for the 1995 death of his cousin Joseph Martin.
Police said Joseph Martin fell from an overpass on Washington Street. He landed on the railroad tracks below and was struck by a train.
In February, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Charles Johnson said there had been “extensive conversations” about resolving the case.
Martin, of Stanton, was on the docket for Thursday in Clark Circuit Court, but the case was continued until July 2.
According to court documents, the attorneys in the case are supposed to meet prior and report to the judge on July 2. A number of criminal cases are under the same order, and the defendants are not required to be present.
Martin is presently serving a 15-year prison sentence for the death of a Winchester woman In July 2013.
Martin pleaded guilty in 2019 to first-degree manslaughter and first-degree assault for the death of Kyla Kline in Montgomery County.
Lonnie Martin had long been a suspect in his cousin’s death, but he was not charged until he was interviewed by Winchester Police following his arrest for Kline’s death. Statements made during that interview led police to file charges for Joseph Martin’s death.
Clark County prosecutors wanted Martin’s Montgomery County case to be resolved before moving ahead with their case.
It hasn’t yet been decided when the Clark County Public Library will reopen its doors to the public, but when... read more