Community News Briefs
Published 12:56 pm Monday, June 20, 2022
• Legacy Grove Park will host the “Longest Day of Play” June 21st from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
“We hope you can participate in some, if not all of the activities we have lined up to celebrate the longest day of the year and to promote and explore all the resources we have at our finger tips!
Email newsletter signup
We are launching the morning with a Walker Appreciation Morning Walk walk with coffee and the the rest of the day we will have a Bingo Challenge Activity, a Book Giveaway from Reading Camp Rocks!, Story Walk from the Clark County Public Library, and a Snow Cone Truck will be coming out to the park later afternoon, and lastly our very first Drum Circle in the evening–you won’t want to miss it!,” a post on the park’s Facebook page reads.
For a full schedule visit Legacy Grove Park’s social media pages.
• The Clark County Health Department will host a Freedom From Smoking course beginning on June 21 at 6 p.m. at its 400 Professional Drive location.
Freedom From Smoking was created by the American Lung Association 35 years ago and uses evidence-based cessations methods, according to the association’s website.
To register 859-744-4482. There is one-time $5 fee. Attendance for all classes is mandatory.
• Winchester AARP Chapter 632 will resume meetings beginning Tuesday, June 21, at 6 p.m. at the Generation Center, located at 2 Meadow St.
“It’s been a long two plus years since we’ve seen everyone, and we sure have missed seeing your smiling faces, celebrating your birthdays, and enjoying all those great side dishes that you bring.
Some of the things we hope to be doing were in the works when we had to close down. They include helping our members get email set up and sending out newsletters through email to keep everyone in touch. We’re looking into options for those of you currently without internet as well,” the organization said in a news release. “We do recommend masks, and definitely ask you to please wear one if you’re not fully vaccinated. This protects all of us, and insures that we will be able to continue having the meetings we all enjoy.”
• The Fly Witches will be celebrating their 1st birthday on Sunday, June 26th. At both 11 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., a free New Client Journey takes place so you can sample bungee and bounce classes. Reserve your spot online or in the app today! Limited spots are available. If all steps are completed, you can get 2 free classes.
Bounce and Pound classes take place between 12-3 p.m., including Apprentice (12 p.m.), Evolving (1 p.m.), and Soaring (2 p.m.).
From 12pm – 3pm, The Flying Waffle will serve up amazing sweet or savory waffle creations! They can be contacted at https://www.facebook.com/flyingwafflefoodtruck/.
Also, the client @coffeebykasey will be present from 12-3 p.m. with her mobile coffee truck The Roosters Whistle! Protein shakes are included.
Major sales for new or existing clients will take place as well.
• On Saturday, July 7th from 7-10 p.m., MZUP Win City Presents: “A Night on the Town” Father/Daughter Mother/Son Dance at First Baptist Church. All ages are welcome, with dress up being optional. Dinner will be served, with family-friendly comedy from Big Dino and a live family friendly DJ. For dessert, enjoy treats from Sierra’s Sweets. Call 859-749-9293 for additional information. First Baptist Church is located at 37 N. Highland St. in Winchester.
• On Wednesday, July 11th, Stuff Recycling presents its Golf Scramble event to benefit the Clark County Homeless Coalition. Tee time is 1:00 pm at Winchester Country Club. For information about sponsorships, call 859-744-8733.